Search This Blog

Friday, September 09, 2005

Michael Brown revisited

If Oklahoma journalists aren't feeling like a bunch of pansies right now, they should be. Myself included.

In the short time I've been in Oklahoma, I have met and interviewed Brown. I didn't think to check his credentials. Heck, he's from Oklahoma and a reason to be proud.

Now he's making Oklahoma just look plain bad. Bad enough that it's time to find out if he just "worked" in Oklahoma and came from some other state that breeds such silver-spoon in my mouth, my college buddy got me this job even though I wasn't qualified types.

I'll be a little harder on the media folks at the television stations, The Oklahoman, the Edmond Sun who have been here and more importantly covered the news here for decades. They are the only ones who would truly know if Brown was ever the assistant city manager or the assistant TO the city manager. They dropped the ball. They should have caught the "over statement" on Brown's resume.

Even then, really how does one make the jump from assistant city manager of a small city in Oklahoma to head of the federal emergency management agency? We should have asked those questions and we didn't. We were too proud of winning. Heck, there was probably some Texan hoping to land that job.

I don't know about you, but about now I'm sure wishing Brown was from Texas.

(In case you haven't noticed, this blog has a split personality. Tune in for tomorrow's rant -- oh God, I sound like one of the Ogle clones. Now that is a topic I'll have to tackle.)

No comments: