Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2005

Cell phones

I carry a cell phone, and yes, I have occasionally used it while driving. Unfortunately it's part of the job. For several months, March to mid-October, I cut the wireless cord. No cell phone.

That's almost like carrying around a 'Will work for food' sign in these parts. "You don't have a cell phone?" people would ask, their eyes showing the pity they felt. Well, no. And for those few months, I enjoyed shopping without interruptions, driving without interruptions and listening to the radio as I drove and I enjoyed eating a meal out without interruptions.

But alas, my new employer wants me to have a cell phone. It rang at 7:30 on Sunday morning. I ignored it. It rang again at 7:45. Same caller. Again at 8:15.

"Hello? Yes, this is she. No, I don't work on Sundays, can I call you back tomorrow? An emergency? Well, no the Thanksgiving news releases haven't gone out yet. Tomorrow is fine..."I listen for another five minutes of explanation until I finally bid the caller -- a client -- adieu.

I tried unsuccessfully to get her on the phone today. Maybe I should have called her cell phone at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.

2 comments:

Gina said...

How annoying! I have a cellphone, and it comes in handy sometimes. But I don't need it or use it for work, and for that I am truly grateful.

I see no problem with calling that person back at 7:30 a.m. on a Sunday. If she thinks it's OK to bother you at that hour...well... ;)

Carmel said...

Remember it was an "emergency" -- I am amazed at how many of those there are in the P.R. biz. I've really really gained a new respect for folks I used to call flaks. Omigod. I'm a flak.