Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Gringos and interviews

The job hunt proceeds.

So far, I’ve been ignored by the New York Times and the Seattle Times. Hey, I’m aiming high. I figure if I’m going to get ignored it should be by a paper I respect.

I’ve gotten thanks, you’re really great, but we aren’t interviewing you letters from smaller publications. At least they cared enough to send me a form letter.

The nicest letter I did get was from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

I managed to snag a first interview with one West Coast publisher, but haven’t made it past that first interview. The process is a second interview, and THEN if they like you they fly you out for a third interview. We’ll see.

A job in Cabo San Lucas tempted me, but I wisely did some research on the newspaper, the Gringo Gazette (catchy name.) It appears the publisher was deported in 2005, but she manages to get back and forth no matter. Her former biz partner at the other Gringo Gazette in Baja California describes this publisher as a “hideous human being.” However, I should note that said former business partner also is at risk for being deported, or worse sent to jail for something she printed in her paper. ( Mexico ’s idea of free speech.) So despite the lure of warm beaches and blue water, I think I’ll pass.

So, I’ll keep plugging along.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right there with ya. We're both in the job hunt now. He's had two interviews that didn't lead to second interviews.

New cheap company trick: Only bring the first choice out for an interview. If first choice isn't foaming at the mouth, hire them.

Sigh. So much for selling yourself in person any more. You might not get the chance.