Search This Blog

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Live each day

This is the time of year that makes me sad. The experts say that's typical, but my sadness is not necessarily full-blown depression. It's a sad twinge of leaving something behind. Taking stock and then realizing that maybe we didn't accomplish everything we wanted during the past year.

But this time of reflection is also a time of hope that this year, I'll finish half-completed projects. Hope, that this year I'll find time to pick up my paintbrushes again, finish that novel or find the job of my dreams.

When I get melancholy, I usually end up tuning in to country music. If you need a good cry, listen to country. There's bound to be a song that makes you tear up. A good cry is cathartic.

Tim McGraw's song "Live Like You Were Dying" was the song today. But it also made a lot of sense. We wait so long to do so many things. We don't use the good china every day, we don't take things off "the list" until it's too late. I thought about people who give in and live with regrets of what they wish they could do. They wait for a rainy day, for a special occasion and, then it's too late. Even 100 years is not so long after all.

So this New Year, my resolutions won't have so much to do with losing weight or finishing projects, as much as DOING. Yes, I still want to finish that book and those projects, but I also want to run a marathon, learn to speak a new language, go hiking in the mountains, laugh a little more, get extra hugs every chance I can. I want to hold those I love a little closer and tell them I love them more.

My wish for you my friends is that you all take stock, resolve to live your life to the fullest, take chances, grab opportunities, love more. And, as always, Take time to watch the sunsets along the way. Happy New Year.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Hear, hear!

Ever see the movie "Auntie Mame"? It's one of my all-time favorites, partly because of its central message, which is practically sung by Rosalind Russell (aka Auntie Mame) in a key scene:

"Live! Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."

Happy New Year!

Carmel said...

G - Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I hate movies and songs that make me cry..therefore I hate listening to that "Live like you were dying" song, because I cry and feel terrible. But I have to admit it's a beautiful song that stays with you.
C.

Carmel said...

C - I'm a big crybaby. When we had a turntable, R and I used to spend an occasional eve about once a year, drinking and listening to music that stirred up memories. I usually ended up crying. Music has a way of stirring emotions, bringing back strong memories. Some good, some not.