Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Betty Lou

When I first met my mother-in-law, I wasn't quite so sure she liked me. OK, I sort of knew she didn't like me. From the hyper stressed-out "no, no, no" when R picked up my suitcase that first visit home -- before we were married -- and she thought he was taking the suitcase to his room to her "sharing" photos of R's first wedding with me -- after he and I were married, the first few years were rough. I remember, after only a year or so of marriage, vowing to never talk to her again.

Fortunately, I did talk with her. During the past 20 + years, I've come to admire and love her. She's my husband's mother and she did a fine job of raising him and his brother. They are both good men. She became a grandmother to my children.

Betty Louise was the best darn cook I ever met. Pretty much NOTHING she ever cooked in her life was healthy for you, but it sure tasted good.

When she was ready to move from her apartment to an assisted living facility without a kitchen, the one thing every one of my kids asked for when asked if they would like to have anything was the big pot she used to cook chicken and dumplings. I never have tried to pretend I could cook as well as Betty Lou. And, I've worked for years on a cookbook taken from her handwritten recipes that I'm hoping I'll finish by this weekend -- at least a shortened version of it. I want to give it out to her friends and family at her funeral.

She died yesterday, and the past few days have been a blur. I'm so exhausted that I can't think and I've tried not to cry. I've been pretty successful until I read this post on my son's MySpace blog.

It's gonna be a long weekend trip to Oswego, KS


Gina said...

Oh, C., I'm sorry. Hugs to all.

Sherrie said...

Oh C. Hugs.

You know where to find me if you need me.

CISSY said...

Gina/Sherrie: Thank you. It was rough on Ray. The visitation was on his birthday. The day of the funeral, the ice storm hit. So we had power issues during the service, and were not able to do the burial until Monday. It ended up just being R & I, his brother and brother's wife at the cemetery. It was a sheet of ice, and a horrible day. I'm glad it's over.

Redneck Diva said...

Oh, Cissy, I'm so, so sorry. (Also sorry it took me until just now to check in on the blog. I've been MIA from reading everyone's for a long time and am trying to catch up now.)

We buried my great uncle on my birthday a few years back so in a minute way, I know sort of know what Ray felt having to go through such sadness during what is usually a more festive time. My goodness, y'all have been through it. Tell Ray we're thinking of him. ((hugs))

Redneck Diva said...

We're thinking of you, too! After I re-read that, it sounded like you were a bit left out. :-)

CISSY said...

Diva: Not at all, it was much harder on Ray. Hard to lose your mom. His dad died when R was only 5 years old, and his step-dad died in 93. So he just has his brother now. Prayers for him, he returned to Iraq after the funeral.

I've been MIA also, it's good to connect with friends again.

Anonymous said...

B. and I have been thinking about you guys...we've been out of town and out of touch, but hugs to you both.