Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

And I thought 75 was fast...

Maybe it's my years of living on a tropical island where the top speed limit was 80 kilometers (just under 55 mph) or maybe it's my natural state of Texas-ness slow. I just don't like driving that fast. I love flying on airplanes because it beats driving cross-country for days on end, but on a regular basis I would prefer the speed limit be 55 mph -- 60 tops. So these Oklahoma turnpikes with their higher speed limits are just way too fast for me.

But heck, that's barely moving. I watched the shuttle http: //www.nasa.gov head toward space. One minute after launch 970 miles per hour, within just a few minutes as it was nothing more than a dot in the sky the shuttle reached 8,000 miles per hour. The announcer (a former astronaut) said the shuttle needed to reach a speed of more than 17,000 miles per hour in order to orbit the earth.

That must be some jet lag. I'll quit griping about 75 mph. Well...for a little while anyway.

No comments: